Listen To All The New Mixes Here!

Thursday, June 7, 2012

January 2012

Alright, people.  Hold on tight!  Today, I'm going to sit here and update my playlists straight through to all I have done.  It's going to be messy and probably rough, but the basics will be there. 

I hope you've been finding stuff you like.  A lot of artists have been hitting the airwaves recently or coming out with new albums for the fall.  I'm hoping to do a success story post soon of songs/bands that have made it to the mass market.

JANUARY 2012

1.  Dozens - Forget Me

Usually, I like to start with something a little quicker and driving, but this song fades into a sweet beginning.  The synth and harmonies make for a nice overall sound.

2.  Summer Camp - Down

I really do hope this fuzzy sound sticks around for while.  Especially, if a clear female voice cuts through.

3.  Hey Ocean! - I Am A Heart

One for the ladies.  Pure pop goodness.

4.  The Lumineers - Ho Hey

Listen closely and you can hear this song (sans vocals) in a Blue Moon commercial.  Great lyrics and passionate playing make this one of my favorites on this mix.

5.   The Black Keys - Gold On The Ceiling

Though I'm not quite sure how the gold got there, I am certain I really like this song.  I'm constantly impressed with how much sound these two can put out.

6.  Seams - The Colour Purple

It's almost like 2 songs in one.  When the chorus breaks down, I just fall in love with this song.  So, be patient and give it time.

7.  The Weeknd - D.D.

Can someone say, "Next Michael Jackson!"

 8.  Penguin Prison - Don't Fuck With My Money

The anthem for the 99%.  Occupy this song!

9.  Los Campesinos! - Songs About Your Girlfriend

I've been told all their songs sound the same, but I tell myself I really like that sound.

10.  Gracie - Flirty Little Fishy

Another song you have to give time.  It's weird, but catchy.

11.  Dozens - Sounds Of Your Lovers

I broke my cardinal rule of mixmaking with this track:  Thou Shalt Not Have Two Of The Same Artists One A Mix.  Ugh.  It was purely by accident.  Anyway, you get a double-dose of Dozens and I get a lesson learned in double-checking.

12.  Oh No! Yoko - Hatshepsut

Such a fun little number.

13.  Cloud Nothings - Fall In

Garage indie rock

14.  41st And Home - Modern Medicine

I really hope these guys make it big quick.  Such cool vocal syncopation, such nice lyrics, and such a great build-up.  This song gets high marks in every category.

15.  Sunparlour Players - Runner

Like an underwater ballad maybe? 

16.  Arms - Heat & Hot Water

I enjoy the melody of this tune as well as the way the chorus picks it up.

17.  Alphabet Backwards - Big Top

Like a British Tallest Man On Earth maybe. 

18.  Lower 48 - The End

I've come to really appreciate the harmonies in this one.  Sometimes she gets the melody, sometimes he does, and you really have to listen to figure it out.  Lots of good words and such nice guitar.

19.  Bon Iver - Towers

You may not know this, but the pattern the guitar plays at the beginning is one of my favorite melodic progressions.  I use it all the time when making stuff up.  Bon Iver schools me as usual.

20.  Radiohead - The Daily Mail

I have a hard time with Radiohead, but this song is pretty and makes my ears happy.

21.  Desert Noises - Smoke Breathing Monsters

A man and his guitar doesn't get much better.

22.  The National - I Need My Girl

A live version of a very pretty song.  Sing along with the audience if you like.






No comments:

Post a Comment