Listen To All The New Mixes Here!

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

May 2012

Alright.  Let's see if I can do this.  For each song, I would like to include either a picture of the band/artist, a picture of the album, or the music video.  I'm also going to link the artist/band name to their website or a place you can listen to them or even learn more about them.  After all, that is the goal of this.  I want to introduce you to music you normally wouldn't be introduced to.  Then, you're supposed to buy the song/whole album if you like their stuff.  Now, I'm making it easier for you.

Here's what I found in May.

May 2012

1.  Kishi Bashi - It All Began With A Burst

 So much clapping, so many high-pitched voices.  This mix sure begins with a burst!

2.  Here We Go Magic - How Do I Know


This song was an 'instant-love.'  It sounds so summery and breezy.  It's lyrics are so nice.  And check out those dance moves!  You need to listen to this one right now!

3.  Electric Guest - Waves


Electro-pop to get you going in the morning.

4.  Pearl And The Beard - Reverend


Beautiful harmonies meet angry cellos and creative lyrics.  How do you get much better?

5.  Man & Ghost - Shoutalong


Rollicking stomp band sounds like it belongs at a party.  

6.  The Spring Standards - Here We Go


Another must-listen.  Rock + Lovelorn lyrics = Greatness.  That's a mathematical fact.

7.  The White Stripes - Hand Springs


This Record Store Day release features some great blues and a hilarious story.  

8.   Treehouse - Babylon Baby


Beautiful harmonies and great lyrics merge with jankity guitar and slick rhythmic syncopation.

9.  damian - Soul Night


I love the creative lyrics and the subtlety of it all.  It's silly and yet, he tells you how to dance.  
Do the whirlwind!  Do the windmill!  Now hop!
 
10.  Andrew Bird - Orpheo Looks Back
 
 
I kept looking for a video featuring just him because I saw only a solo show back in November.  This video is great though.  I think you get such a better impression of him as a musician when you see it live.  Watching this video has inspired me.  I'm going to buy the album right now in fact.

11.  American Opera - Bright Lights & Amplifiers
 
 
This song makes me want to drop out of school at join a band.  Even though I'm teaching, I still sometimes want to do that.  This is my call to everyone reading this.  I'm about to leave my early-20s behind and I still want to be a rock star.  Who's with me?

12.  Admiral Fallow - The Paper Trench
 
 
13.  The Future Kings Of Nowhere - Let's Be Pirates!
 
 
That's the life their selling, but baby we don't have to buy it.  Let's be pirates!
 
14.  Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr. - We Almost Lost Detroit (Stepdad Remix)
 
 
Another Record Store Day Release.  Man, I wish Alaska had more record stores.  I can't tell if it's the high-pitched "oww"s, the fuzzy lyrics, or the instantly singable hook, but I love this.  Here's the original below for comparison.


15.  St. Lucia - Closer Than This
 
 
Token Dance Number

16.  Ra Ra Riot - Valerie (feat. Delicate Steve)
 
 
If this, yet another Record Store Day release transports you back to the '80s that's because it is a cover of the 1987 Steve Winwood single of the same name.  Ra Ra Riot has been called Vampire Weekend's little brother...or odd cousin, but I am glad to see them doing their own thing.  Delicate Steve is a guitar wizard with an excellent solo in this tune.

17.  Barcelona - Only Son
 
 
This one took me a few listens, but once you get into the lyrics and realize how heart-wrenching they are, you'll love it too.

18.  Trampled By Turtles - Alone
 
 
Garnering comparisons to The Avett Bros. and hailing from Duluth, MN, this folk band has put together such a simple and beautiful song.  Little known fact:  A poster for one of their concerts hangs in the outhouse of my friends Patrick & Jenny in Homer, AK.

19.  Wild Child - Pillow Talk
 
 
Don't let the band's name fool you.  Expect something simple and actually quite restrained.  Sad song, but really pretty.

20.  Foster The People - Ruby
 
 
Oh man.  Oh this is so pretty.  At first I thought this was a whole new song because "Torches" is such a dance-y album.  Still, this is great.  Sing along, mind the chord changes, and enjoy!
 
21.  Fun. - Carry On
 
 
 I find it interesting that I end the May 2012 mix with 2 artists mostly known for their pop/electro/dance tracks and here they demonstrate their range with wonderful ballads.  Fun. has been a favorite of mine since their first album and are one of the easiest success stories on my mixes.  I believe I featured one of their singles back on the JULY 2009 mix.  Go back and listen to their first album.  Then listen to this new one.  Both are great.  Just don't let the radio tell you which of Fun.'s songs to love please.  Go find the ones you enjoy.  This one is great, but I doubt it'll ever make it to the radio.  Same with the title track, "Some Nights."  


Whew!  A little more work, but definitely a much slicker blog.  Please comment as to whether or not you like it or have other ideas for improvement.  I'm working on the June mix and should be sending out the Spring Season Package in about a week.  

Remember all mixes can be found at 8tracks.com.

Have a great time listening, friends!


 














No comments:

Post a Comment