Listen To All The New Mixes Here!

Friday, December 30, 2011

August

This August Mix ranks up there as one of my tops of the year. January was excellent. March was great. April turned into one that can last, but this one might take the cake. Stay tuned for my top 5 mixes of 2011!

Here's August:

1. Blitzen Trapper - American Goldwing

I love the lyrics, I love that down-home feel it has going on. Great tune.

2. Young Buffalo - Full Metal Whacket

Syncopated hand claps and a simply effective guitar riff with driving drums. Noice!

3. Grouplove - Tongue Tied

This group is climbing the charts, especially with their song 'Colours.' I like this one better and I guess Apple did too!

4. Atlas Genius - Trojans

Not to be confused with Atlas Sound (Mona Lisa). It took me a long time to not think about condoms when listening to this one.

5. Mathieu Santos - I Can Hear The Trains Coming

Ra Ra Riot's frontman heads out on his own in this catchy, electro-pop single.

6. Black Light Dinner Party - Small Boxes

Dark and dancy with a singable chorus.

7. Mates of State - Maracas

My girlfriend loves this band and this is the first tune I could easily latch onto one of their songs. I'm coming around though.

8. Rubblebucket - Came Out of A Lady

First introduced to me by the one-and-only Tim Dries, they won an award for best low-budget music video.

9. Hoquets - Chaud Boulet

Repetitive and in French, you might not like this one. What sold me is the fact that these guys built their own acoustic instruments and electrified them. Check out the video.

10. Fair Ohs - Baldessari

I wave, I wave, I wave good-bye to boats! I wait, I wait, I wait by the coast.

11. Snakes Say Hisss - Comes and Goes

I love the fuzz and the synth syncopations.

12. TV Girl - Benny and the Jetts

Just a solid tune. My favorite part is the Pips in the background.

13. Little Dragon - Ritual Union

It sounds so simple, but the underwater beats will keep you grooving.

14. Tom Vek - Aroused

You look arouse-duh! You look awake. You are a ligh-tuh! Turned on.

15. The Morning Benders - Last Night

Probably on par with the original on how much I like this.

16. The Panics - Majesty

I love the booming and glorious drums and the way this song keeps on building.

17. Banded Stilts - Forest, Oh Forest, Protect Me

You had me at Forest.

18. Motopony - King Of Diamonds

I thought it was difficult to discern whether the singer was male or female. Listen and decide for yourself before checking out the video.

19. Beirut - Goshen

I'm not sure what the title refers to, but this song is utterly gorgeous

20. the Middle East - Months

A great voice and determined beats build this song into sweeping melodic lines.

21. Debbie Neigher - My My My

Just a girl and her piano.

22. Portugal. The Man - Sleep Forever

This band (originally from Wasilla, AK) is enjoying an upturn in popularity. Probably my favorite track from their new album, I just want to sleep forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment