Listen To All The New Mixes Here!

Friday, December 30, 2011

Joooooly

You'll be glad to know, over Christmas break I finished October, November, and the Autumn Honorable Mentions. When I return to Alaska and have access to a 10-disc burner again, I will be churning them out like a boss and hope to have another 5-pack ready to mail by early January.

This means for the first time in half a year, I am actually listening to new music in the month it came out! Hooray for December! Maybe I will quit sleeping and finish December before the month ends!

Check back soon to see how my mixes stand up to Pitchfork.com and Rolling Stones' top tracks of the year. And, of course, you'll see my top tracks as well!

Here's July!

1. The Natural Shocks - The Plane

The chorus is just great. A nice opening number.

2. Patrick Wolf - The City
Link
I like trying to sing like this.

3. Hope and Social - Sleep Sound

You gotta love the intro and that fine group singing. Plus, it's a nice message.

4. I'm From Barcelona - Charlie Parker

Get it? Charlie Parker was called 'Bird' and this is a song about birds. HA!

5. The Travelling Band - Sundial

A great folksy tune. And yes, the band's name is spelled incorrectly.

6. Luke Temple - Ophelia

Fuzzy with great harmonies and a slice of creole.

7. The Loose Salute - Happy I Don't Count

Just a nice, mellow tune.

8. The Rosebuds - Woods

I appreciate the toy piano sounds and the soaring chorus.

9. Imaginary Cities - HummingbirdLink

Backward cymbals and a unique voice make this a catchy song.

10. Vetiver - Can't You Tell

Well, I can't tell what he's saying, but you just have to groove to this guy.

11. Cold War Kids - Finally Begin

Decent Cold War Kids selection

12. The Cinema - Kill It

Everyone has told me this song sounds nice, but the lyrics suck. I guess they're right. How does one "move like a freeway?" I do love the line, "I know we'll kill this."

13. Stars - We Don't Want Your Body

I was pleasantly surprised to learn this band made uptempo songs. And I love her voice.

14. Noah & The Whale - Life is Life

Finally, something not too depressing from this British band. I also enjoy their parlay into synthesizers.

15. The Shivers - Used to Be

I think I like it cause it sounds like something I'd like to make.

16. Yacht - Shangri-La

If I can't go to heaven, let me go to L.A. Or a far West Texas desert or an Oregon summer day. If we build a Utopia, will you come and stay?

17. Fleet Foxes - Lorelai

Oh, so pretty. Period.

18. Death Cab For Cutie - Stay Young, Go Dancing

Probably one of my favorite tracks of the year. Great chords, melodies, lyrics.... ahhh.....

19. Priory - Lady of Late

I just love singing to this one. The octaves in the chorus get me every time. It has such a nice breakdown.

20. Boy Without God - Of Cowboys & Other Beautiful Men

If I was a waterfall, I would make water fall. Simple yet brilliant.

21. Stray Dogg - Drunk

Such a sad song.

No comments:

Post a Comment