Listen To All The New Mixes Here!

Thursday, October 29, 2009

Kansas City and Let it Snow!

Last weekend I traveled with Julie for nine hours on a Friday night across the grand state of Kansas to reach Ryan Volkert and family's house in Kansas City (MO). Julie was meeting her dad there (who was coming from Alabama) to switch cars for the winter, a small Audi for a generous Tahoe. I couldn't pass up the opportunity to see RV for the weekend, so I agreed to tag along.

We left about 5:oo P.M. Friday and didn't arrive until close to 4:00 A.M. Central time. It was exhausting, but a lot of fun actually. We crashed almost immediately. The morning was spent touring IHOP (International House of Prayer) where the Volkerts devote some of their time each week. Breanne made a delicious lunch and when Ryan left for work, Julie and I hit the town.

Surprising to me, Kansas City is the "City of Fountains." Basically, if you have the money to build a fountain, you do. We saw well over a dozen in the few short hours we were in the city. Often, we would simply go to a fountain, take some pictures, and head the direction we supposed would lead us to the next fountain. It was more fun than it sounds.

Julie met her dad that evening and I bonded with Breanne and Ryan's new step-sons, Malachi and Payton, 4 and 7 respectively. We met Ryan at Whole Foods (where he works) for dinner and enjoyed some nice conversation when he returned. It was just real nice to see my good friend and his new family. Julie met me a little after nine on Sunday morning and we began our stretch back across the glorious state of Kansas. Did I mention how much I love driving lengthwise across Kansas?

Many of my friends got married this past summer, but Ryan one-upped them all and hopped right into a family. Tony and Jess had a baby in June, but Tony kinda got to ease into being a dad and a husband. Ryan instantly became a husband and a father of two boys searching for love and answers. They home-school their kids, so he is also their teacher and mentor and he is also the only one who can work for right now so he is also his family's sole producer and protector. That's overwhelming for me to even think about! It was so incredible to just sit down and talk with him about life, etc... He has such a good heart that I know he'll be extraordinary at all of his new roles.

As a sidenote: I have had the past 2 days off of school because a snowstorm has dropped close to 16 inches on us since Tuesday night and it is still snowing! Trish and I bundled up and walked the town building snowmen, making snow angels, and starting to build igloos. It was a real nice break! Pictures will be coming soon I'm sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment