Listen To All The New Mixes Here!

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Excitement in the BDR!

So, I have a theory that all good cities can be shortened to 3-letters. I believe it all started with hearing Atlanta called "The ATL" and then thinking that the South shouldn't have all the fun. So, Milwaukee became "the MKE" and Marquette, "the MQT." The problem with Boulder is I can't decide if it should be "the BDR", "the BLR" or "the BLD." I like BDR the best. Thoughts?

A lot has happened since my last post so I'm going to try to keep it straight and simple. If you'd like details, give me a call.

An awesome snow storm hit Colorado the weekend after my last post. It started coming down hard Friday night and 3-4 inches of snow was on the ground into Monday.

That Friday night, Meg and I went to see the band Hot Buttered Rum at the Fox Theatre with Mountain Standard Time as the opening act. It was a really fun show and the place was PACKED which really amplified the atmosphere and made it extremely different from the Dirty Dozen Brass Band show. HBR is a mo-hawked fiddler, a guitarist who looks like Paul Simon, drums, and a banjo/flautist who reminds me of John Turturo. We danced, we laughed at the crowd, we got contact highs...it was a good night. Although my favorite part was the dude in the ticket line who asked me if I needed some 'shrooms. "No, man. I don't NEED 'shrooms..." That's Boulder I guess.

I helped my cousin Ashley move in to her new apartment on Saturday and got lunch out of the deal, so it was a fair trade!

Our frisbee games were canceled Sunday due to the lingering snow to which I scoffed. However, I was feeling under the weather so I took it easy and rested and saw opera singer Thomas Hampson sing that night. He sang all sorts of songs written in America through the ages which was very cool to hear. He also gave 3 encores! What a class act!

Finally, Monday came! I STARTED TEACHING! I taught 3 days last week to start off my Colorado teaching career! 2 classes of elementary music and 1 of junior high Spanish. I also catered mid-week and on my off-day (read: no one called for a sub) I applied to a few neighboring districts. Hopefully, this will help me to keep busy and keep rolling in the dough!

Last weekend was great! Friday night we went out for Meg's birthday and stopped at 1 bar too many. Saturday we actually had Meg's party in which I was forced to dress in overalls to visit a pumpkin patch out of town, complete with corn maze! We then proceeded to eat delicious Southern food (she's from North Carolina), get drunk, and carve pumpkins. The later night kind of turned into a dance party, but I spent a lot of time in the backyard teaching everyone the finer points of Ladder Golf/Testicle Toss/Polish Horshoes.

We won 2 out of our 3 Ultimate games on Sunday including a spectacular game winning catch by yours truly to secure a 5-4 victory in the first game. I'm really starting to see how this game works and my throws are getting better and better.

Finally, October CDs went in the mail today so watch your mailboxes! If you don't get one and feel like you should've/would like one, call me and we'll duke it out. I probably just forgot and I'm sorry.

I'm hoping to do a few things differently with the blog in the coming weeks. I am going to attempt to post more often instead of these monstrous, sprawling posts. This will help me to include the good stories hidden within the quick updates like this...

I am also working on reviews of the CDs I've received and of the ones I've recently purchased/come across. These include fun., Owen, Metric, and The Avett Brothers.

Peace Out and Keep in Touch!

2 comments:

  1. I refer to Dubuque as DBQ. It's not as cool as the other cities you listed, so just be aware that you can do this for lamer cities as well.

    Also, I think you can keep Boulder BLDR because, after all, Minneapolis is awesome, and it's the MPLS.

    After being unemployed for October, I got hired part-time. I'm hoping to send you a letter and maybe a CD or two once I'm getting paid again. I ordered the Floating Action CD* over a month ago, and it finally came. Would you like a copy of that? Also, did I ever give you a copy of that Pete Yorn CD?

    *The Mumford & Sons one was my first pick, but it was much more expensive being an import and all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chelc, I want copies of EVERYTHING...that you can afford of course.

    Also, I read your Flowers rant. I'm not surprised ANY of that happened to you. That is a classic Chelc story. Well done!

    ReplyDelete