Listen To All The New Mixes Here!

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

September 2011

1. 41st & Home - Gorbachev

- The way it builds makes it a perfect opener. Then you get trumpets, harmonies, and wonderful Cold War references. I truly appreciate a well-written song.

2. Ximena Sarinana - Different

- First sent to me by the lovely Tommie A., I love how careless her voice sounds and how quirky the music video is. Check it out! I think this established Latin star could crossover easily if she keeps this up.

3. St. Vincent - Cruel

- A weird little intro, but all doubts fall as St. Vincent belts the chorus. I'm also in love with all the odd sounds throughout it.

4. Oy Vey - Idiot

- When I have access to a recording studio, I want this fuzzy sound. Catchy and together well.

5. TV Girl - Lizzy Come Back to Life

- I told you, I LOVE the fuzz. This one also gets on for the ultra-catchy samples and the first song in recent memory to utilize vibraphone. You've also gotta give props for the name-dropping of the punk innovators.

6. Locksley - The Whip

- You probably heard this one on a commercial for NFL Play 60 or maybe for American Family Insurance. Either way, it's a glorious, top-of-your lungs type of song.

7. Sleeper Agent - Get it Daddy

- Rolling Stone and now SXSW are gaga for this band. I wish the guy would sing less and let the girl go. Apparently she's 17 and can rock the mic like a vandal.

8. Icona Pop - Manners

- Token Dance Track.

9. Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin - Yellow Missing Signs

- They've gone electronic with their new album. Still, the nice harmonies, ambiguous lyrics, and catchy hooks persist. Still one of my favorite bands no one's ever heard of.

On a side note, it turns out my favorite song by them is also Tommie's favorite song by them. How'd she ever hear of them without me, I may never know...

10. Young the Giant - Cough Syrup

- Last summer I lost my mind over Young the Giant's My Body. This song is a beautiful driving and melancholy ballad.

11. The Weather Station - Everything I Saw

- Oh give me a banjo and a sweet voice and let me die happy.

12. Milo Greene - 1957

Your house that sits behind me is covered in ivy green. The windows that we watch from are old and chipping at the beam. And it takes me away.

I'll go I'll go I'll go I...

13. Collections of Colonies of Bees - Lawn

- Odd name, unknown song title...but super catchy post-rock. Deliciousness in my ears.

14. Parachute Musical - Reflection

- Maybe this one brings me back. Clean-cut pop has it's place, people.

15. NewVillager - Lighthouse

- Keep it up. Don't Stop. Don't Lose Your Place.

I. LOVE. This. And the music video is equal parts ballet and Fifth Element.

16. The 2 Bears - Church

- If anyone knows what this intro is from, please let me know. A nice Caribbean vibe and such excellent lyrics.

17. CSS - Red Alert

- A nice, sexy groove.

18. Moustache Of Insanity - We Need More Awesome

- Predator went STRAIGHT to the top of my Netflix list after hearing this song. And it was AWESOME. This song makes me laugh so hard.

19. Bon Iver - Holocene

- I just want to sink into this song and have it surround me. I love bragging that he's from Wisconsin. The music video is so luscious and made me begin to start looking up plane tickets to Iceland. "And at once I knew I was not magnificent."

20. Feist - How Come You Never Go There

- This song sounds exactly like it came from what critics are calling Feist's break-up album. Bluesy and full of power.

21. Lana Del Rey - Video Games

- I missed the controversy surrounding her. Is it just that she doesn't perform well live? That's half of the pop-world. I think this song is sad and beautiful. It's cynical and satirical and probably a good commentary and the American family. Maybe I give it too much credit. But I think it's nice.

1 comment: