Listen To All The New Mixes Here!

Monday, January 25, 2010

January 2010: The First Playlist of the New Year!

Hey Team! I just want to be the first to apologize for the tardiness of this Mix. I got a late start due to my brother sticking around till the 8th. That's not an excuse though. Mixes went in the mail today and should reach everyone by the end of the week...I hope. They better!

This mix is extremely eclectic. It features some definitely weird music (even by my standards), but the tunes got stuck in my head and I hope they get stuck in yours. It also has quite a few bands many of you have probably heard of. I bet you might even hear one or more of these songs on the radio someday! In any case, it was very, very hard to cut some some songs, which will be featured on the Winter Honorable Mentions CD next month. Which is a good reminder! To get that special edition 2-disc set, I need something from you! A letter, a postcard, a CD...something! As always, please leave your questions, comments, and concerns in the comment section! I look forward to hearing how you like the music.

Without further ado, I present your track list:

1. Animal Collective - What Would I Want? Sky
2. Colour - Unicorns
3. Dear Reader - The Same
4. Wakey!Wakey! - Clinton St. Girl
5. Spoon - Written in Reverse
6. Cold War Kids - Audience
7. Mike Mictlan & Lazerbeak - Prizefight
8. Paramore - Looking Up
9. Portgal. the Man - Guns and Dogs
10. Final Fantasy - Lewis Takes Action
11. Clare and The Reasons - That's All
12. Swimming in Speakers - In Knowing
13. Porishead - Chase the Tear
14. Darwin Deez - Bad Day
15. Shout Out Louds - Walls
16. Cage the Elephant - Soil To The Sun
17. Throw Me the Statue - Noises
18. Lady of the Sunshine - Daisy Chain
19. Freelance Whales - Starring
20. Sea Wolf - The Garden That You Planted
21. Said the Whale - Holly, Ontario

Zach's Notes:
1. Seems like everyone who thinks they have indie cred has fallen in love with Animal Collective this past year. This is the first song by them I've actually liked. Though I did enjoy the Taken By Trees cover of My Girls (on the Autumn Honorable Mentions CD).
3. Gorgeous!
5. I bought the new Spoon album last week and it is a great addition for anyone who likes Spoon. This is the only song that is "radio friendly."
6. Nick introduced me to these guys a while ago and here is a single off their upcoming album. Very good stuff!
7. Probably my first hip-hop track in a long time, if ever. Not because I don't like hip-hop, there's just less independent hip-hop happening where I am looking.
8. I know, I know...Paramore. How can you not like this song though? Very autobiographical.
10. Like a symphony and indie rock had a baby...
11. This song made it on the Mix for the tuba part, though it is certainly a solid Genesis cover.
12. I love her voice...there's just something about it.
15. Shout Out Louds are a band I fell for a few years ago thanks to their "Our Ill Wills" album. Apparently, it was pretty divergent from their previous stuff and this track makes me think they are staying in that vein for a while. I'm excited to hear more!
16. A B-side to their singles "Back Against the Wall" and "No Rest for the Wicked"
17. TMTS! I really love these guys...as a band.
19. Freelance Whales makes the mix again! The banjo really gets me going.

No comments:

Post a Comment